Sunday, July 17, 2011

Lettuce and Tomatoes and Beets, Oh My!


If we remember and have time on summer Sundays, Tom and I like to wander around the Summit Farmer's Market to see what looks good and to enjoy the surroundings.  (For me, that includes the babies in strollers and dogs on leashes.)  Besides meeting a few very friendly farmers along the way, we also discovered some new treats to bring home:  beautiful, torpedo-shaped red onions, known as Rossa di Firenze,  will be on our grill tonight;  hummus, infused with the spices of Morocco, made it into our basket as soon as we taste-tested it.  Within an hour after arriving home,  I had spread some on a slice of Italian bread for lunch, topped with one of the sweet Jersey tomatoes we also bought.  It seemed like an odd fusion-style sandwich, but was actually pretty delicious.


Since I'm slightly obsessed with adding beets to my salads lately,  I couldn't leave without buying some.  This time, I decided to go for the golden variety, mainly to avoid magenta stained fingers but also to decide once and for all which ones I prefer.  

I've had a plan to make blueberry muffins this week but it's doubtful whether these will last long enough around here.  Good thing there's a place to pick some more a quarter mile down the road.

And  here's what Tom chose- some not exactly pretty but definitely extra-manly hot Italian sausages.  Just in case anyone thought we were vegetarians.
Happy Sunday!




No comments:

Post a Comment